Birthday Songs Throughout the World


Throughout my life, my all-time favorite musical tradition to take part in has always been the singing of the "Happy Birthday" song to whoever was being celebrated. While, like just about everyone else, I've never liked being on the receiving end of this, there is something so joyous about gathering together with family and friends to sing in celebration of someone you love! So, when I read the prompt for this assignment, I knew this was the ritual I wanted to focus on.


I think we can all agree that each family or group's rendition of this song is quite unique, some sung perfectly in tune with four-part harmonies, and other that sound just about like a catfight with a dash of the pre-concert tuning of an orchestra. But even with these differences - the addition or lack of "cha-cha-cha's", mentions of zoos and smelling like monkeys, or "hip-hip hooray's" - the "Happy Birthday" song, as known in English-speaking countries has remained quite steadfast.

 English Birthday Song



German Birthday Song





Two versions of the "Happy Birthday" song I stumbled upon during my search were Native American - one, a Navajo birthday song, and the other a version sung by members of an unspecified tribe in Virginia. What I found so interesting about these two versions was that, although they did share many aspects of Native American music, with vocables, call, and response, and disjunct melodies, they were still two very different songs, with different lyrics, melodies, and very different energy levels. 
While this makes sense given the differences in tribe and, with that, culture, it is still interesting to see how big the differences in such a "simple" tradition could be when comparing them both to each other and to what I am personally used to. 

Navajo Birthday Song



Native American Birthday Song




However, (and this really surprised me) this is where the major differences in birthday songs seemed to stop. While there are other traditional birthday songs out there, they are surprisingly hard to find, and, if the search results on Youtube were anything to go by, it seems like many countries now use the same "Happy Birthday" song used here in the U.S., just translated to whatever language they speak. 

However, I did come across one last birthday song specific to its culture - "Las Mañanitas." While this song is also sung right before cake, it is also traditional to sing it while waking the the birthday person or even to hire a Mariachi band to sing it to them.
The song is quite versatile as well, being used not just for birthdays, but for anniversaries, Mother's day, and many other holidays and special occasions!


Las Mañanitas




Sources:

“Las Mañanitas.” Viva Cuernavaca, https://universaldomainexchange.com/vivacue2/las-mananitas/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CLas%20Ma%C3%B1anitas%E2%80%9D%20is%20a%20traditional,Las%20Ma%C3%B1anitas%20during%20people's%20birthdays.



Comments

  1. Wow, I liked hearing the differences between the two Native American variations of the song. It is a little sad that most places have simply translated the "Happy Birthday to you" version into their language. I love seeing how different they can be and how their cultures are incorporated as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you, I love singing happy birthday to other’s on their day, although I definitely would sound completely unpolished and incapable compared to you. I loved the “cha-cha-cha’s”! I love how you brought the diversity into singing, “Happy Birthday” in different homes, especially the “Las Mañanitas”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey MB, I'm with you on not liking being on the receiving end of the happy birthday song. I'm glad I read this blog cause now I know how to sing the song in German (#bilingual). But I thought it was cool how you added in the two different Native American songs. It was interesting to hear the differences in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something super wholesome about these cultures having birthday songs! Listening to the native American birthday songs was really interesting. They shared many aspects of the songs we heard in class, which isn't normally what I would expect for a birthday song. It sounded really pretty, and they were getting into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with not liking being on the receiving end of someone singing happy birthday to you. Its a weird feeling. And I also agree that its something very special about gathering with your friends and family. It makes a core memory/ a very unforgetable moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bob Dylan is Dr. Frankenstein (**NOT CLICKBAIT**)